- VP ITC, MicroCal - Isothermal Titration Calorimetry, study of biomolecular interactions in solution
- PEAQ-ITC, MicroCal - Isothermal Titration Calorimetry, study of biomolecular interactions in solution
- Monolith NT.115 (Microscale thermophoresis), NanoTemper - measuring binding affinities (labelling of 1 partner required)
- Monolith NT. Label-free (Microscale thermophoresis), NanoTemper - measuring binding affinities (label-free)
- DLS Nanostar (Dynamic light scattering), Malvern - particle size measurements. Addressing dispersity/ aggregational state of samples.
- Biacore T200, GE - SPR, interaction of biomolecules and kinetics
- CD (Circular Dichroism), Applied Photophysics - Secondary structure analysis.
- Prometheus NT.48 with backscattering optics (nano-Differential Scanning Fluorimetry technology), NanoTemper - study protein stability and protein aggregation.
- FTIR (Fourier Transform Infrared Spectrometer) Bruker - Protein spectrum. Analysing protein signals from formulation components.
- MALDI TOF, Bruker/CovalX - Determination of the molecular mass of protein samples and peptides resulting from proteolytic digestions. CovalX HM4 High-Mass System enables protein complex analysis and intact protein analysis.
- Octet RED96 System, PAL ForteBio - 96-well characterization of protein-protein and protein-small molecule binding kinetics, determination of protein concentrations.
- SPARK 20M Plate reader, TECAN - Detection Absorbance, Fluorescence intensity, FP, TRF, FRET, TR-FRET, luminescence (flash, glow, multi-colour), Alpha Technology, Automated live cell imaging
- Stopped-Flow, Applied Photophysics - Time resolved experiments
- Mass photometer, Refeyn - can monitor protein-protein interactions at a single-molecule level with high-sensitivity and can at the same time determine molecular weight of proteins and protein complexes with a high dynamic range and great accuracy. The mass photometer is an ideal tool for quality control in the protein structural analysis workflow as it can assess the molecular mass and the oligomerisation status of a sample in one measurement.
SSM-based electrophysiology, SURFE²R N1 - designed for the measurements of electrogenic transporters (symporters, exchangers and uniporters) and pumps. Usually these proteins have low turnover rates compared to ion channels. SURFE²R technology compensates for that with a large sensor size which allows for the measurement of up to 109 transporters at the same time to yield the best signal to noise ratio.
We support users with the design, execution and data analysis of biophysical experiments aimed at the characterization of proteins, protein complexes and interactions between proteins and other types of molecules.
The PC facility offers a variety of services related to protein characterization:
- Quality control for structural studies
- MS intact mass
- Protein-protein interaction
Our protein characterization platform located at the CSSB includes several biophysical instruments available for in-house and external users. We offer services for protein quality control in addition to characterization techniques for studying the interaction of biomolecules. Techniques available: MS MALDI coupled to a high mass detector, Thermofluor (TF), Circular Dichroism (CD), Fourier-transform infrared spectroscopy (FTIR), Isothermal Titration Calorimetry (ITC), nano Differential Scanning Fluorimetry (nDSF), Surface Plasmon Resonance (SPR), Biolayer interferometry (Octet), Microscale Thermophoresis (MST) and Dynamic Light Scattering (DLS).