- Equipment for cloning and mutagenesis projects
- Eppendorf Mastercycler X50a – PCR Cycler
- Bio-Rad ChemiDoc MP – imaging system
- Bio-Rad MicroPulser – electroporator for transformation of bacterial and eukaryotic cells
- Infors HT Minitron – incubator for insect cell expression
- Infors HT Multitron and 3x Eppendorf Innoa S44i – incubators for bacterial cell culture
- Heracell Vios 250i – CO2 incubator for adherent cells
- 3x Thermo Fischer MaxiSafe 2020 – laminar flows
- 2x Beckman Coulter Avanti JXN-26 – harvesting centrifuges
- Beckman Coulter Optima Max-XP and Optima XPN-90 – ultracentrifuges
- GE Healthcare Äkta pure and Äkta Explorer
- Tecan SPARK – plate reader
- Thermo Fischer Micromodulyo – freeze dryer
- Büchi Rotavapor R-114 – rotary evaporator
- Olympus CKX31SF – inverted microskope
The Protein Production (PP) facility at CSSB provides resources for the cloning, expression and purification of many different proteins as well as expert advice regarding which approach is the most adequate in answering each user's specific research question. The facility will support users with either independent performance of experiments after provision of initial introduction and in-depth initial training or gene expression service for both bacterial and insect cell culture. Expert advice and guidance on processing of the data will also be provided. Specifically, the following services are provided:
- Cloning and mutagenesis
- Culturing of bacterial and insect cells up to S2 level
- Expression screening at millilitre scale
- Gene xpression in bacterial and insect cell lines at litre scale
- Cell harvest and lysis
- Protein purification (scouting and automation)
- Biochemical characterization
- E. coli strain library
- Insect cell library
- Expression vector library
- NEB freezer
The PP facility is operated in close collaboration with the facility for recombinant protein expression at HZI in Braunschweig. The PP at the CSSB Hamburg supports users in small to mid-scale expression experiments in bacterial (E. coli) and insect cells. The HZI facility supports mid- to large-scale heterologous expression in bacterial and eukaryotic hosts. PP at the CSSB Hamburg will also support users in establishing the appropriate expression conditions for mid to large scale expression in the HZI facility. The close collaboration between the two protein production facilities will benefit users involved in challenging expression projects by saving them both time and resources.
Access to the PP services and resources
- The facility is a fee-for-service (non-profit) technology platform operated by HZI. We provide support and expertise for local scientists, the international research community and users from industry.
- All users must follow a safety training before working in our laboratories. All users are required to undergo training before access to the individual instruments is granted. Currently the biosafety training is given onsite.
- Please get in touch with us to discuss your specific needs.
Our acknowledgement policy
Please acknowledge any substantial contributions of the PP Facility to your research in publications. Please state the following in the acknowledgement section of your publication: “We acknowledge technical support by the PP facility at CSSB Hamburg”.
Please don't forget to let us know when you publish papers that acknowledge us. This will help us keep track and to justify the existence of the facility to funding bodies.
CSSB Centre for Structural Systems Biology
c/o Deutsches Elektronen-Synchrotron DESY
Notkestraße 85, Building 15
Helmholtz Centre for Infection Research (HZI)